What is the role of a City advisory commission?
Are you interested in an excellent opportunity to become actively involved in your city government? Volunteer to be a city advisory commission member! In exchange for both your time and effort, commission members influence the policies, actions and progress of our community.
Richfield’s advisory commissions are established by the Richfield City Council. The duties of commission members are to:
- Review matters within the scope of the particular commission or as directed by the City Council.
- Recommend direction to the City Council based on evidence, research and reports.
- Regularly attend and participate in commission meetings.
Why volunteer to be a commission member?
- Resident involvement improves the quality and responsiveness of public decision-making.
- Volunteer commission members are excellent ambassadors and advocates for the city.
- Create community ownership by sharing your talents and perspectives.
Individuals interested in being considered for an appointment to a City Commission should submit a completed application to the City Manager’s office. Applications are available only during an open recruitment and are made available on the City's website or by calling (612) 861-9701. Commission members must be Richfield residents. Terms are for three-years and are staggered to avoid vacancies in all positions.
In order to provide young people with an opportunity to contribute their ideas and to participate in City government, several advisory groups have openings for youth representatives. Youth applications are available only during an open recruitment and are made available on the City's website or by calling (612) 861-9701. Youth members serve a one-year term (commencing upon appointment and ending August 31) and must be a Richfield resident, at least 15 years old and enrolled in a high school or equivalent.
Applications are only accepted during an active recruitment. The next recruitment is scheduled in December 2017. After all applications are reviewed, the City Council will interview all applicants in January 2018. The interview is an opportunity for the City Council to have a conversation with each applicant. Appointments are effective February 1, 2018.
More information about each commission can be found on their specific commission webpages listed below.