2019 Spring Street Sweeping
Sweeping in residential areas began on 4/8/19 on the west side of the city and finished on 5/3/19. Summer sweeping should begin in mid-to-late June.
Where are the street sweepers?
Click here for the current sweeping map. During sweeping operations this map is typically updated on Monday and Wednesday and shows where we are currently sweeping and plan to be in the next week.
Can I do anything to help with street sweeping?Yes! Periodically, you can:
- Clean (sweep out) the catch basins on your street
- Sweep grass clippings back into your yard after mowing
DO NOT push or rake leaves, grass, or other debris into the street. It is illegal and prohibited by City Code.During street sweeping operations you can:
- Remove your car(s) from the street until both sides of the street have been cleaned
- Remind your neighbors to remove their car(s) from the street
When and why does the City sweep streets?
The City attempts to clean all city streets four to six times per year. We want to collect the debris before it enters the storm water system. Anything that goes down a storm drain flows directly into nearby lakes and rivers, and decomposing plant material in the water encourages the growth of harmful aquatic plants and algae.
The debris collected by street sweeping is hauled to various locations for disposal. Leaves are hauled away to be composted and remaining debris is hauled to approved landfills.
Typically, we sweep streets during:
- Late Spring (April-May)
- Early Summer (June)
- Fall (late September-November)
Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns?
- Questions about street sweeping? Contact Public Works at 612-861-9170
- Concerns about a car(s) parked continuously in the same location for over 48 hours? Contact Public Safety at 612-861-9800