Following the safety guidance of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to slow the spread of COVID-19, all recreation facilities are closed and all in-person, staff-led programming is suspended until further notice. Walking trails at Wood Lake Nature Center will remain open. Please refer to the main Wood Lake Nature Center page for announcements about self-guided and virtual programming.
Bring your birthday kid to Wood Lake for a great party!
Wood Lake Nature Center offers a variety of birthday parties that are fun, educational, and the mess stays with us! Wood Lake provides a naturalist-led activity and use of the party room with tables, chairs, and tablecloths. Payment is due when the party is booked and birthday parties start promptly at the scheduled time.
2 hours (first hour with naturalist, second hour in party room)
$120 for up to ten children
$5 per additional child, 15 children maximum
Green Party, $10 (Includes reusable plates, bowls, drinking cups, silverware, and recycled paper napkins.)
Choose from the following themes:
Become nature detectives and go outside to look for clues from hidden animals that live at Wood Lake. Available year-round.
Meet a live snake, turtle, and salamander and learn all about these amazing creatures! Then, time permitting, hike outside with a naturalist to look for reptiles and amphibians in their natural habitat. Available year-round.
With nets and buckets at hand, go out to the floating boardwalk to discover what kind of creatures lurk in the Wood Lake marsh. Available May-September.
Tracks and Trails (ages 5-12)
Big Foot Birthday (ages 7-12)
Survival (ages 8-12)
Learn basic survival tips and build an outdoor shelter. Work together and see if your group can survive! Available year-round.
Please note that helium balloons and alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the building.
Wood Lake recommends:
- Invite the party guests 5-10 minutes before the party start time so the naturalist can start the program on schedule
- Book your party about two months in advance- weekends fill up quickly!
- Smaller birthday parties typically allow the birthday child, as well as the other attendees, to receive more personal attention. Groups of about 10 children typically work best.
- We encourage parent engagement during naturalist led hikes, but to keep authenticity and allow equal participation of children, please consider only sending a few adults to accompany the naturalist.
- Come back for more! We offer many party themes and can adapt them to older age groups (including adults!) if requested.