Seasonal naturalists are hired for the school year and the summer. Check the City's Jobs page for paid seasonal positions.
See below for Summer Intern Naturalist position, or visit the City's Jobs page
Summer Naturalist Internship
Wood Lake Nature Center is in the heart of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. It is a busy urban park that is comprised of 150-acres of forest, prairie, and cattail marsh habitat, and is dedicated to high-quality environmental education and interpretive programs. The park has miles of recreational trails and a nature center facility that is open every day to the public.
SEASON AND TIME COMMITMENT: The Summer Intern Naturalist position is a 12 week position. It starts beginning of June and goes through mid-August (dates are flexible). This position is approximately 32 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Summer Intern Naturalist will join a dynamic staff to offer the best quality educational, recreational and natural experiences possible for visitors. Interns will participate in training that will support assistance in aiding in the design and instruction of summer camps and other environmental education and interpretive programming. Interns also assist with a variety of daily and summer-long projects as they arise (prairie management, exotic species control, trail maintenance, exhibit and displays, instruct volunteers and event planning). Interns complete a project of their choice that is tailored to their interests. Also, interns will be a part of the Urban Wildland Half Marathon and 5K Races planning committee.
- Minimum of two years college study, college graduates are encouraged to apply
- Experience working with youth
- Natural history knowledge
- Interest or experience in environmental education and/or interpretation
- Must pass a background check
- Effective communication skills and ability to be a team player
- Essential functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for moderate physical activity such as standing, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, lifting, kneeling, sitting, crouching, twisting, pushing, pulling, bending, squatting and lifting materials and supplies ranging from 20-60 lbs.
Check the Richfield Jobs page to see if this position is currently open. Follow the application instructions on the position page.