Housing Visioning Process
The final housing vision statement, as drafted by the taskforce, reads:
Richfield is a sustainable community that is known for its strong, vibrant and eclectic, amenity-rich neighborhoods supported by a full range and balance of housing types that match the choices of its diverse residents at every stage of their lives.
- Click here to learn more about the vision statement and coordinating goals
- View the final Housing Visioning presentation to the Richfield City Council.
In the following 18 months, the group drafted four specific housing policies, which were adopted by the Richfield HRA:
In 2012, the Richfield City Council, Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) and Planning Commission agreed to move forward with a public participation process to develop a Housing Vision to guide future development in the community. In November of 2012, a proposal from the consulting firm Stantec was approved to guide this process.
The Richfield Housing Visioning Task force was appointed by the HRA at the beginning of 2013, following an application period and interviews with applicants. The twenty appointees participated in regular meetings throughout the spring of 2013, culminating in a presentation to the City Council in June 2013.
The materials presented to the Richfield Housing Visioning Task Force are provided below:
- Workshop 1: Kickoff, History, Current Housing Stock and Preliminary Issue Identification
- Workshop 2: Richfield in a Regional Context: Greater MSP, Demographics, Jobs & Housing
- Guest Presenter, Steve Elkins, Metropolitan Council District 5 Representative (video)
- Workshop 3: The Shape of Housing in the Future: family sizes, innovation, sustainability, teardowns, multi-generational housing
- Guest Presenter, David Keenan, Minnesota Futurists (presentation) (video)
- Guest Presenter, William Weber, Center for Sustainable Building Research (presentation) (video)
- Workshop 4: Issues Workshop & SWOT Analysis (presentation/exercise)
- Workshop 5: Navigating the New Normal (presentation) (video)
- Workshop 6: Visioning Exercise
- Workshop 7: Draft Vision Statement worksession
- Workshop 8: Presentation to the City Council (video)
- Final Housing Visioning Statement and Goals