Renter Resources

showimage   HousingLink:  Search for affordable housing openings in the Twin Cities. 


Energy Assistance Program: The Energy Assistance Program can help renters pay energy bills between October 1 and May 30 each year. An application must be completed in order to receive energy assistance. Click this LINK or contact CAPHC at (952) 930-3541

The City operates the following rent assistance programs:

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
The waiting list is currently closed. Check HousingLink for the status of other voucher and public housing waiting lists in the Twin Cities.

Kids @ Home Rent Assistance Program

Rights & Responsibilities

showimage (1)     HomeLine:  HomeLine provides free legal help for renters.

For English, call 612-728-5767

Para espanol, llame al 612-255-8870

For Somali, call 612-255-8860  
Hais lus Hmoob, Hu 612-255-7104

The hotline service is confidential.

Renter Rights and Responsibilities workshops teach people what they need to know to be a successful renter. Classes are held every other month. Call CAPHC at (952) 697-1320 for information on upcoming classes. 

Click here for HousingLink's tips for a successful renting experience. 

Tenant Protection Ordinance

Under the City's Tenant Protection Ordinance, a new owner of an apartment building is required to provide a three-month protection period to existing tenants living in affordable units. During the protection period, landlords cannot raise rents, non-renew tenants without cause, or re-screen tenants. If you believe your building has been sold and you haven't received a notice from the new owner about the tenant protection period, contact Julie Urban, Housing Manager at 612-861-9777 or

Click here for a summary of the ordinance

Click here for a copy of the full ordinance

Fair Housing