Planning and Zoning
The Planning Division is responsible for the administration of land use regulations and policies throughout the City. The Planning Division coordinates the preparation of the City's Comprehensive Plan (long-range vision for land use and infrastructure), recommends zoning regulations to implement that Plan, and reviews individual applications for new development, redevelopment, land subdivision, and variances. The Planning Division also provides information and assistance to residents, local businesses, and developers.
The City's Zoning Code is intended to protect and promote public health, safety, comfort, aesthetics, economic viability, and general welfare in the City. The Zoning Code is the means by which the City's long-term vision is implemented.
While the City makes every attempt to keep this site up-to-date, it is recommended that you confirm regulations prior to beginning any project. Summary handouts provide helpful information for a number of zoning-related requests like Variances, Conditional Use Permits, and more.
RICHFIELD ZONING ORDINANCE
Land Use Application Process/Timeline
The Planning Division prepares reports and makes recommendations to the Planning Commission and to City Council regarding land development in the City. The City Planner serves as the staff liaison to the Planning Commission. The general process for land use applications an d approvals is below:
- Submit a land use application a minimum of 28 days prior to Planning Commission Meeting.
- Internal staff review begins, Administrative Review Committee meets with applicant and reviews any missing or incomplete application materials.
- Applicant makes required revisions and resubmits revised plans a minimum of 14 days before the Planning Commission Meeting.
- A public hearing is held at the Planning Commission, which meets on the 4th Monday of the month. The Planning Commission makes recommendation to the City Council.
- The City Council considers the application and issues a final decision at their meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of following month.