Most Requested City Codes

The following are the most requested City ordinances. They have been paraphrased from the original ordinance.

Junked Or Inoperable Vehicles

  • Vehicles on any property in the City must be currently licensed and in operating condition. A vehicle with a flat tire, broken out window or expired plates is considered to be inoperable. Inoperable vehicles may not be stored on any property for longer than 96 hours.

Recreational Vehicles

  • Recreational vehicles may be stored on a rear or side yard (except a side yard of a corner lot adjacent to a street) provided that no more than one RV be parked or stored outside of an established driveway, in a front yard on an approved driveway, and 12 feet from the street. 
  • RV’s must be operable and display a current license and registered to the resident or owner of the property.  One RV over the size of 7.5’ H X 7.5’ W X 22’ L is allowed per property.
  • A motorized RV must be parked on an parking area constructed with concrete, asphalt, concrete pavers, brick set in compacted sand, or other impervious or semi-impervious material.  Non-motorized RV’s may be stored on a parking area that meets the requirements for motorized vehicles or on a decorative rock surface.    
  • RV’s may not be used as a residence.  
  • Snowmobiles, boats and all terrain vehicles must be stored on a currently licensed and operable trailer, on an approved surface and yard area, and tightly covered. 
Oversize Vehicles 

  • The definition of an oversize vehicle is any vehicle whose dimensions exceed 22 feet in length, or 7 1/2 feet in width, or 7 1/2 feet in height. 
  •  An oversize vehicle may not be parked or stand continuously for more than four hours on any residence property or on any public street in the city
Parking in Yards

  • No person may park or place any motor vehicle in the yard area of any lot within the city, except in established driveway areas.

Waste Containers

  • Garbage, recyclable, and yard waste containers must be stored in an enclosed structure or the rear or side of the property immediately adjacent to a principal or accessory structure. Containers may not be stored in front of any part of the principal building on the property except for garbage pickup day. 
  • All garbage and refuse must be bagged or packaged prior to placement into a container. Containers must be kept in a clean and sanitary condition and tightly covered. 

Garbage and Refuse Disposal

  • The tenant, owner, or occupant of a private dwelling, house, multiple residence, store, restaurant, and other types of property in the city which accumulate garbage and/or refuse must dispose of garbage/refuse at least once each week and as often as once each business day to protect the public health.  
  • No person may accumulate debris or refuse on any property in the city which might constitute a nuisance by reason of appearance, odor, sanitation, littering of the property on which the refuse is accumulated, or an adjacent property, or a fire hazard.

Grass and Weeds (subd. 2(h)

  • Grass or weeds over the height of eight inches is prohibited.

Garbage And Refuse

  • Richfield City ordinance prohibits the outside storage of garbage and refuse on any property in the city. The following items are examples of refuse: cans, paper, cardboard, bottles, wood (not firewood) appliances, furniture, tires, bricks, cement, etc. or any other household refuse or materials. City ordinance requires that residents contract with a licensed refuse hauler for garbage collection or  provide an environmentally sound alternative, such as, self hauling to a licensed disposal facility or shared garbage service with a neighbor.

Vehicles "For Sale"

  • Vehicles "For Sale" cannot be displayed in any area other than an established driveway. They may not be placed in the street or in any private parking lot in Richfield.

House Numbers

  • Buildings and homes must have their address numbers located on them and be large enough to be read from the street.


  • Only organic materials such as grass clippings, leaves, flowers, coffee grounds, vegetable and fruit scraps and egg shells may be placed in a compost.
  • Composting must be enclosed and cannot exceed 100 cubic feet.
  • Composting must be located in the rear yard, at least three feet from any property line.
  • Composting may not create a health hazard or a nuisance to adjoining properties.