Rates and Billing
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recommends that all public water suppliers in the metropolitan area serving more than 1,000 people adopt a “Conservation Rate Structure” (Minnesota Statutes, Section 103G.291 Subd. 4). The purpose of the Conservation Rate Structure is to encourage water users to reduce consumption. Below is the City of Richfield’s Water Conservation Rate Structure for 2021, how it applies to water usage and other fees related to the water utility. This rate structure applies to all residential and multi-unit properties.
|TIER||WATER RATE||USAGE AMOUNT|
|Tier 1||$4.18 per 1000 gallons||0-15,000 gallons|
|Tier 2||$5.02 per 1000 gallons||15,001-25,000 gallons|
|Tier 3||$6.04 per 1000 gallons||25,001 gallons and over|
|Irrigation||$6.04 per 1000 gallons|
- Commercial properties, schools, and churches are billed at the Tier 1 rate for their domestic water use.
- Irrigation accounts are billed at the Tier 3 rate.
- The Minnesota State testing fee is $9.72 per year for each account (billed quarterly at $2.43 per billing cycle).
- The service charge is $10.00 per quarter.
Richfield’s wastewater flows to a treatment plant in St. Paul, Minnesota owned and operated by the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services Division (MCES).
- The wastewater rate is $6.03 per 1000 gallons in 2021.
- Residential wastewater (sanitary sewer) is determined by the winter quarter’s water consumption.
- There is a minimum charge of 7,000 gallons ($42.21) for sanitary sewer on all accounts.
- The storm water rate is $20.76 per unit or one-fifth acre per quarter in 2021.
- A single-family residence is considered one-fifth acre.
- Rates for commercial properties are based on land acreage and will be charged accordingly.
Richfield’s streetlight utility is $5.77 per quarter in 2021.
MOVING TO RICHFIELD?
If you are moving, purchasing, or selling your home please call the Richfield's Utility Billing Department to request a final reading prior to moving. (612) 861-9164
PAY YOUR BILL ONLINE
Pay your bill online or pay by phone by calling 1-844-368-3947
ONLINE PAYMENT HIGHLIGHTS
- View and pay your bill online anytime with credit/debit card or e-check
- Make a one-time payment or register to gain access to all features
- Schedule your payment for a specific date
- Get email or text notifications when your bill is ready, just before the due date and when a scheduled payment is pending
- AutoPay - automatically pay the invoice amount from your default payment method on the due date
- Recurring Scheduled Payments - set up a schedule to pay a fixed amount or the invoice balance on a specific day of the month
- Pay by text
Please include your customer number and account number on all personal checks and bank checks.