Permits, Inspections & Licenses
The City helps ensure the construction of safe buildings and protects community character through building code regulations. The Inspections Division administers these regulations through permits and inspections.
Building and related permits ensure that projects will be constructed according to nationally-recognized standards. The standards are designed to protect buildings from fire and to ensure the safety of all building occupants. Review of permit applications also ensures that projects meet zoning requirements, such as yard coverage, setbacks and building height.
Some permits such as residential electrical, plumbing, mechanical, building re-siding, re-roofing and window replacements can be issued at the time of application. Other residential permit applications take up to 10 working days to process. Applications for permits should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled start date. This will allow time for the city staff to offer assistance through the process and issue the permit at the start of the project. This is especially true during the summer construction season.
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Codes
- Application Forms
- Fee Schedule
- Rental License and Inspections
- Point of Sale License and Inspections
- Building Code Handouts
- Zoning Code Handouts
- Tips for Insulating your Home Against Airport Noise
- Also, visit the Airport Noise section under the 'Residents' tab.
NEW ELECTRICAL SAFETY REQUIREMENT: AFCI PROTECTION FOR REPLACEMENT OUTLETS
RPZ TESTING / BACKFLOW PREVENTER
- Please register with the Safe Water Commission for testing: http://www.safewatercommission.com/
- Click here for more information about the City of Richfield's new policy
- Safe Water Commission Tester Portal Reference Guide
"How Do I Schedule an Inspection?"
- For a Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical Inspection call 612-861-9860
- For Point of Sale or Rental License Inspection call 612-861-9882 or see the Point of Sale or Rental License page.
- For a Fire Inspection (Alarm or Suppression) contact the Fire Department.
"I Have A Question for an Inspector, Who Do I Call?"
|Chief Building Official | Rick Regnier
|Senior Office Assistant | Julia Brysky
|Building Inspector | Bernie Feidt
|Permit Technician | Rachel Graack
|Building Inspector | Alan Voracek
|Mechanical/Plumbing Inspector | Brian Fehrenbach
|Housing Inspector | Jennifer Grinde
|Housing Inspections Clerk | Natalie Stanton
|Housing Inspector | Dean Tran
For Electrical Inspector Questions ONLY - Call between 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m., Monday thru Friday
|Electrical Inspector | James Noonan
|Electrical Inspector | Doug Torvund